[Paleo, Gluten Free]
These Salmon and Summer Squash Cakes are an excellent meal for breakfast! You can serve them with a poached egg and hollandaise sauce as well, or you can even toast a small slider roll and top with a Garlic and Lemon Aioli that you will learn how to make here! This is a perfect recipe for leftover salmon from the night before!
1/2 pound, 8oz– of salmon (wild or farm raised)
1 summer squash (zucchini) yellow or green, grated into 1 cup amount.
1/2 cup of white or yellow onion
3/4 – 1 1/4 tsp. sea salt
black pepper to taste
1/8 – 1/4 tsp. paprika
4-5 Tbsp. Coconut Flour
1 Tbsp. Lemon Juice
- Grate 1 Cup of squash with the largest grating size on your cheese grater. Strain liquid out of grated squash by squeezing. Measure 1 Cup.
- Dice onion into small but crunchy pieces. I cut mine about 1/2” to make sure they stayed crunchy in the cakes.
- Season your piece of salmon with 1/4 tsp salt and pepper to taste. Season just the top of your piece of salmon.
- Pan sear salmon over medium high heat. Use 1 tbsp of olive oil. Make sure to get pan very hot before searing. Cook roughly 10 minutes or until fish is flaky. If you are a fan of eating skin, enjoy that treat before you prepare your salmon cakes.
- Let salmon cool down before pulling it apart with two forks. Break the Salmon into manageable flakes.
- Add 1 Cup of Squash, 1/2 Cup of onions, and flaked Salmon to a medium sized mixing bowl. Add 2 medium eggs into bowl. Add 4-5 Tbsp of coconut flour. Add 1/2 – 1 tsp of salt, 1 Tsp of garlic powder and 1 Tbsp of lemon juice. Add a dash of Paprika and Mix!
- After you have mixed the cakes together, form them into small balls, and gently flatten on a sheet of waxed paper. Smaller cakes are easier to manage, and because the salmon is already cooked, you wont have to cook them too long. Use olive oil or butter to gently sear them to a crispy brown.
Garlic and Lemon Aioli
- 1/2 Cup good quality mayonnaise, such as avocado oil
- 3/4 Tsp. Salt
- Black Pepper to taste
- 5-6 Chopped Parsley Leaves
- 1 Tbsp Lemon Juice
- 2 large cloves of Garlic, as close to paste as you can cut them.
Mix ingredients in a bowl and serve with Salmon and Summer Squash Cakes, or use it to top them on a slider.