[Paleo, Gluten Free, Pescatarian]
Tuna is one of the most versatile fish you can eat. If you have ever eaten sushi, you know how fresh and savory a slice of Tuna dipped in soy sauce can be. Tuna is equally delicious when seared gently on each side, and served rare in the middle like a steak. In most places its actually considered a disgrace to fully cook a nice steak of tuna. Because of the uniqueness of tuna, there are many flavors that work well with it, but the nutty and sweet flavor of a toasted pistachio and ginger crust are delightful. Serve over a bed of sauteed swiss chard and onions with a red wine balsamic reduction. This recipe is for 2 adults.
2x 5-8 ounces Tuna steaks between each OR
1x 10-16 ounces Tuna steak, cut after cooking.
3x Tablespoons of Extra Virgin Olive Oil
1/2 Cup Roughly ground pistachios
1-2x large bunches of organic Swiss Chard (or bok choy works well too!)
1-2x Small White Onions OR Red Onion moons
Ground Ginger (to taste) OR
Fresh ground ginger (to taste)
1/2 Tsp. Sea Salt
Black Pepper to taste
1x Clove of Garlic
2x Tablespoons Balsamic Vinegar
1/4 Cup Dry Red Wine
*Optional: Red Pepper flakes
- Prep your Swiss Chard. Rinse well and drain. Cut Swiss Chard across the bunches, and cut stems into smaller pieces (stems are delicious and crunchy).
- Next cut your small white onion in quarters so you have half moon pieces. Thinly slice white onion.
- Preheat a medium pan, and add 1 1/2 tbsp of olive oil. Saute garlic and onions until soft and aromatic. When onions are soft add red wine and let simmer until evaporation. Turn heat to low and add balsamic. Let balsamic vinegar cook out.
- Add Swiss Chard to sauteed onions, and let cook until Swiss Chard is cooked to liking. Toss with onions and glaze. Keep warm until Tuna is finished.
- Next is the tuna steak. Rinse Tuna steaks with cold water and pat dry. Place in shallow bowl, and coat with remaining olive oil. Season with salt and pepper.
- In other bowl, add roughly chopped pistachios and ground ginger. If using fresh ground ginger, gently sprinkle or smear onto steaks after salt and peppering. Dip the seasoned tuna steaks into ground pistachios and press in if needed.
- Get a cast iron skillet to high temperatures and sear tuna on each side until crispy, and toasted. If tuna needs to be cooked more internally, you can broil for 2-3 minutes. Serve tuna over Swiss Chard and red wine reduction. Also drizzle coconut aminos, or soy sauce over tuna for added flavor. Enjoy!